Friday, February 3, 2012

What I've Got to Say


Engineer and cowboy? How can these two possibly supplement one another? Maybe you can see how engineering can help a cattle operation, but even this transfer, in my experience, will probably surprise you.

I suspect that you're sceptical about what a man riding a horse while trailing a herd of cows could possibly teach an engineer, especially a chemical engineer. That is the primary purpose of the posts you will be reading.

As head of our local office, I signed my own lay-off papers at the end of a project. That was 14 years ago. Yeah, I was pushed that direction by other factors. I worked for Stone & Webster. They were headed for an Enron-like failure. Regulations were multiplying by hundreds of thousands of pages a year. California alone accounted for 100,000 pages of new environmental regs per year. I had five offers of other positions with other organizations. Yet, I chose to leave engineering. For many, this would be a questionable decision, but it offered the opportunity to do some real engineering instead of trying to keep pace with regulatory environment.

You need to understand other aspects that led me this way. I enjoy challenge. I'm confident taking on even unknown businesses, and that I can manage the variables. I am compelled to to acquire new capabilities. I solve problems – technical or organizational. (Believe me, ranching offers problems to solve every day.) Even afflicted with these characteristics, I have enjoyed success, which encourages the confidence.

Before I get to the things that ranching can teach an engineer, you'll need to find out what I learned from ranching and what the engineer did as a rancher. Here we go …..

No comments:

Post a Comment